Risia - the Plain of Ice
Plane%20of%20Existence%20-%20Risia.png

Nature: Outer Plane

Alignment: Mildly Evil
Enhanced magic: Spells with the (Cold) descriptor are "Maximized" & "Enlarged".
Impeded magic: Spells with the (Fire) descriptor need a Spellcraft check (DC15+SL) to be cast.
Cold: Average temperature is 0°F. Each day there's a 50% chance of extreme weather in the form of snow, sleet, hail, or a blizzard.

.

Description

A blizzard above a field of blowing snow that covers an infinite glacier, Risia consists of layer upon layer of cold & ice. Though mountains break the surface of the plain here & there, they're formed of solid ice, not stone. Lakes & streams mark the landscape, but they're not made of water – they're places where the air itself has congealed to a frigid liquid, deadly to the touch. The atmosphere of Risia freezes the eyes & lungs, the wind steals breath, and the snow buries and entombs all things.

.

Interactions

Coterminous: Regions of intense cold – primarily the Frostfell in the distant north, but also the northern reaches of Khorvaire – begin to take on some of the plane’s traits. Conditions of extreme cold (air temperature below –20°F) become even more intense: The cold deals 1d8 points of nonlethal damage every 10 minutes (Fortitude DC 20 + 1 per previous check negates).

Entering an area of intense cold (such as a raging blizzard in the Frostfell) while Risia is coterminous has a 30% chance of opening a temporary conduit to Risia, taking creatures within their areas to the Plain of Ice. Similarly, natives of Risia can enter the Material Plane in such areas, and are 70% likely to be encountered near any area of intense cold.

In areas of extreme cold, spells with the cold descriptor are enhanced by being automatically enlarged and empowered.

It's coterminous to the Material Plane during the midwinter month of Zarantyr, once every 5 years

Remote: Cold becomes somewhat less intense. Conditions of extreme cold (air temperature below –20°F) are reduced in severity: The cold deals only 1d4 points of non lethal damage every 10 minutes (Fortitude DC 12 +1 per previous check negates).

Except in areas of extreme cold, spells with the cold descriptor are more difficult to cast, requiring a Spellcraft check (DC 15 +SL).

It's remote from the Material Plane during the midsummer month of Lharvion, once every 5 years, two and a half years after each coterminous phase.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License