Fernia - the Sea of Fire
Plane%20of%20Existence%20-%20Fernia.png

Nature: Outer Plane

Alignment: Mildly Evil
Elemental trait: Fire-dominant
Enhanced magic: Spells with the (Fire) descriptor are "Maximized" & "Enlarged".
Impeded magic: Spells with the (Cold) descriptor need a Spellcraft check (DC15+SL) to be cast.

.

Description

Flame covers everything, the ground is nothing more than great, ever-shifting plates of compressed flame, ash, and debris. The air ripples with the heat of continual firestorms. Oceans of liquid flame ebb and flow, and mountains ooze with molten lava. Fire rages, with no need for fuel or air, across this continually burning landscape.

.

Interactions

Coterminous: Regions of intense heat – primarily areas surrounding volcanoes – begin to take on some of the plane’s traits. Conditions of extreme heat (air temperature over 140°F) become even more intense: Breathing such hot air deals 1d8 points of damage per minute, and the heat itself deals 1d6 points of nonlethal damage every 5 minutes (Fortitude DC 20 + 1 per previous check negates). Lava or magma deals 4d6 points of damage per round of exposure, plus 2d6 points of damage per round for 1d4 rounds after exposure ceases.

Entering a pool of lava or a similar manifestation of tremendous heat (such as a raging fi restorm in the Mournland) while Fernia is coterminous has a 30% chance of causing a character to be whisked to the Sea of Fire. Similarly, natives of Fernia can enter the Material Plane in such areas, and are 70% likely to be encountered near any area of intense heat.

In areas of extreme heat, spells with fire descriptor are automatically enlarged & empowered.

It's Coterminous to the Material Plane for 1 month (midsummer month of Lharvion) every 5 years.

Remote: Heat becomes somewhat less intense. Conditions of extreme heat (air temperature over 140°F) are reduced in severity: Breathing the hot air deals only 1d4 points of damage per minute, and the heat itself deals only 1d3 points of nonlethal damage every 5 minutes (Fortitude DC 12 + 1 per previous check negates). Lava or magma deals 2d4 points of damage per round of exposure, plus 1d4 points of damage per round for 1d3 rounds after exposure ceases.

Except in areas of extreme heat, spells with the fire descriptor are more difficult to cast, requiring a Spellcraft check (DC 15 + spell level).

Fernia is remote from the Material Plane for one month (the midwinter month of Zarantyr) every 5 years, two and a half years after each coterminous phase.

Unless otherwise stated, the content of this page is licensed under Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 3.0 License